Friday, January 6, 2012

TRUST ME..

These words are comforting, but at the same time, frustrating. Along my walk with God, He has uttered these words in my ear so many times. I find them comforting because it reminds me He is in control, but at the same time that phrase frustrates me because it seems to be the general answer to all my prayers (can I get an amen). However, I had a revelation the other day.
First let me set it up for you. A few nights ago I had some trouble sleeping. Some things were weighing heavily on my mind. As I began to focus on God and pray, He said those ever so lovely words (a little sarcasm? yes) "Trust Me." Grrrrrrrrr. Seriously Jesus?! I'm struggling here and you're gonna say that?! I longed for a better response, but any time I hear God's voice, it seems satisfying enough. Soon after, I fell asleep.
The following day, I thought about what God said to me. I really tried to hold onto it as those things that were weighing so heavily on my mind the night before entered my mind.
As all of this was going on in my mind, I was making my son food to eat. He was crawling around on the floor and he was getting fussy while he waited. At one point, he made his way to the kitchen, looked directly at me, and made one of his "Hurry up, Mom!" kind of grunts. I looked back at him while making his food and without even thinking about it, replied, "You're ok for a few more minutes, trust me." I stopped dead in my tracks. Did I really just say those words?!
I took a step back and thought about it all. I had so easily told Caleb to 'trust me,' like it was nothing. The way I said it was so nonchalant, because I knew he would, in fact, be fine. I said it with confidence the same way I would say the sky is blue and the grass is green.
Then, I thought about how God must have said it to me the night before. He told me, 'trust Me,' just as confident as I did because He knew I would fine, even though at the time, I didn't think I was going to make it through the night without having a break down.
As I thought about it some more, I discovered that I told my son to 'trust me' because I could see the future (well kind of). I knew that nothing bad was going to happen if he waited a few more minutes for his food. He wouldn't die of starvation, he wouldn't suffer, he'd make it out alive. That's the same way God saw me the night before as I was agonizing over the things in my head. I was 'fussing' just like my son, thinking I couldn't go on anymore without a divine intervention and God, ever so confidently, said, "trust me," because He knew I'd be okay in the end.

It has been so neat to get a glimpse of how God sees us when I see my son. What a miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment