Friday, March 22, 2013

A Prince and A Prayer

Every little girl dreams of finding their prince and I was no different. As far back as I could remember I imagined my prince. He was tall, handsome and looked very much like Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid. I couldn't wait to find my prince.

Six years ago I got very real with God about my future prince. While in the shower, I gave Him my list of qualifications for a husband. It was a rather long list and it was VERY detailed. I imagined God sort of laughing at me because some of the things on the list were kind of ridiculous (like nice teeth). The shower got cold as I was finishing my list, so you can imagine it was quite long. Hey, I was a girl who knew what she wanted!

At the time, I was working at a private Christian school. My main goal at the time was to make sure I was focusing solely on God. I was standing in front of a class full of kids day after day telling them about God and I wanted to make sure I was living the life I was preaching about. I didn't have any other concerns. God was my life.

One day at a morning meeting, the teachers had decided to bring in the newly elected student council and pray for them. The handful of students gathered in the center of the teachers as we all began praying for them. Some teachers prayed out loud, some didn't. The first teacher to pray out loud was the Bible teacher who was standing right next to me. I knew him and I knew his voice. He prayed a prayer for a minute or so. Then, there was a pause. Then, another teacher began praying. I was standing there with my eyes closed and head bowed in my own private prayer when all of a sudden something in my spirit just 'woke up.' As this teacher was praying, my spirit came alive. This prayer was so powerful, so genuine, so spirit-filled. It was as if my spirit connected with this prayer somehow. It was crazy! That never happened before! At that point, I still hadn't recognized the voice of the teacher praying, but I HAD to know who it was. So I ever so carefully, lifted my head and opened one eye to see who was praying (hoping no one would see me of course).

The following were the thoughts that went through my head:
"Oh, it's the  new Computers teacher praying. What's his name? Mr. uh Mr. Wilson, I think. Wow, that guy can pray! Wow! Gosh, I hope I marry someone who prays like him! Oh God, but please not him. His head is so big!"

LOL Yes, those are the exact thoughts I had! I remember them clearly. I even shared them with Mr. Wilson when we became friends a short time later. He laughed. It's a running joke that the first thing I noticed about him was his abnormally large cranium and the first thing he noticed about me was my flat derriere. A match made in heaven.

Like I said, shortly after that we became friends. Every time we hung out, we spent our time just talking, getting to know each other. We were so content just sitting on the couch talking for hours. There was no doubt there was a special connection between us.

Three months after we started hanging out, and the day before the 4th of July, Mr. Wilson told me he loved me! I believe I tackled him to the ground like a school girl and kissed his nose or something weird like that because I was so thrilled! LOL

Two months later, Mr. Wilson asked me to marry him on the beach in Ocean City. Seven months later, we were married.

Our story is rather simple. Mr. Wilson noticed me because of my gorgeous good looks, and I noticed his big head, his beautiful spirit, and genuine love for God. We were brought together by a prayer and by the Creator of the Universe.

I wouldn't have it any other way. God gave me my very own fairy tale and it was better and continues to be better than anything I could have ever imagined. Take that Ariel!

No comments:

Post a Comment