Sunday, March 29, 2015

Because He loves us..

There is something I want to share. It's been along time since this situation happened, but it's time I talked about how God took a hurtful, bad situation and turned it around for good in His own time, in His own way.

A long time ago, I was a liar. I was a cheater. I was a stealer, a jealous, self indulged, unrighteous, sexually immoral mess. I had a set of issues I was dealing with and instead of handing them over to God, praying without ceasing, and asking others for prayer, I tired to fix my mess of a life in my own way and ended up making it worse. In the process, I hurt people around me, and damaged relationships I'll never get back.

The details of my mess are too lengthly to explain, but you can easily assume plenty from the adjectives people used to describe me in the past (yes, people said those things to me). Naturally, I thought I was justified in the way I acted, but looking back, it was wrong, and it hurt a lot of people. It hurt me too. Yes, I was the one lying and causing the problems, but when a group of people turn on you and never forgive you, it hurts and it makes you believe you really are a bad person. I only made things worse by walking far from the spirit of God.

Years after I damaged several unfixable friendships, I'd still have nightmares about it and wake up feeling like trash. Satan wanted to remind me of how awful I was, how those people still feel about me, and how I'm still a sinner no matter what I do. It took a lot of prayer and seeking God to be able to put that hurt all behind me and thankfully, all because I serve a gracious, merciful God, He was able to mend my brokenness and turn a bad situation to good.

See, I've learned how lying hurts people, so with prayer and healing, I strive to speak only truth. I've seen how a self indulgent attitude can offend others, so I strive to be more of a giver and lover on a daily basis. I've experienced how unrighteousness hurts people, so I strive to be more righteous daily. And thankfully, I haven't hurt more people because of those things since this one bad experience.

See, God took that bad, hurtful, damaged situation and made me a better person. Had that situation not happened, would I strive to speak truth EVERY day? Maybe not. I would not see the importance of it. If that situation hadn't happened, would I value humility? Probably not. And righteousness? Definitely not.

It was a life experience that some would agree HAD to happen for me to learn these things. Thankfully, God was with me through it all, had mercy on me and I was able to get through it with only a few damaged relationships. Could there have been more damaged friendships? Maybe. Less? Maybe. I'm glad that time is over and God has changed me. I'm glad there was an important life lesson. And I'm glad God healed me and used it to make me a better person for His purpose. With God, no matter what it is, He can turn it for good because He loves us.


No comments:

Post a Comment