Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What God is showing me lately

Tis the Season! Merry Christmas! God has done a lot and shown me a lot since the last time I've posted. I wish I was able to post more, but it's hard with a little baby. Since I don't have a lot of time to post, I would like to get to the point. :)

God has moved in tremendous ways in my life and its been awesome. Through bible study and ReDefine, He's been amazing. He's grown me in tremendous ways and I am so grateful. I wish I could share everything He has been doing in my life, but it would take me forever to write it down. Instead, I will share what He has been putting on my heart lately...
Yesterday, at bible study, my heart was breaking for Jesus. Here's why: last week, John and I were at Smithville Village. We love the village and frequent it often. When we went last Friday, we noticed an entire section of the parking lot was roped off. We didn't know why, but we soon found out. I was really craving a Diet Coke, so we immediately hit up the closest cafe. In there, the women behind the counter told us the reason half of the parking lot was roped off was because Santa was coming on the fire truck. Not only that, but he was going to be taking free pictures with the kids. He was coming within the hour, so John and I figured we'd hang around so Caleb could see Santa. So, we walked, ate, and before we knew it, Santa was arriving. The fire trucks were loud and the lights were blinking. With all the hoopla, you would have thought the president was coming. There was a big crowd waiting for Santa and little kids were jumping up and down. When Santa finally arrived and the fire truck pulled into the roped off portion of the parking lot in the village, Santa was lifted up and down on the ladder. Kids were waving and screaming with excitement. Parents were pointing and holding their children on their shoulders. Everyone was so excited to see Santa.
We stayed for about a minute. Caleb had no idea what he was looking at and John and I could care less about Santa. So we started walking away toward the car. I looked back as we were walking to see Santa again. I was trying to get 'into' like everyone else, but I couldn't. Was my Christmas spirit gone?
Then it hit me. God must be looking down on this with tears in His eyes. We have it all wrong. People are cheering and going crazy over Santa..almost to the point of worship. But would they do this for Jesus?
I don't have issues with Santa, and I think its fun for little kids to get into the idea of Santa, but when we go as far as gathering in big crowds to see him and make such a big deal about it, is it going to far?
Its kind of like celebrities. When people worship celebs. And when they see them they cry. They cry if a celeb touches their hand. They cry if a celeb talks to them. Celebrities are just people, not God.
I think this hurts God. I think He looks down on this and thinks, I created these people for me, not for Justin Bieber. Not for Michael Jackson, not for Lady Gaga, not for Santa.
God put us on this planet for the sole purpose of worshipping Him. So when we "worship" anything other then Him, its backwards. Its not what we were created for.

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with Santa, but I think sometimes people go overboard and I disagree with that. Would you get as excited to see Jesus as you would Santa? Would you gather in large crowds on a cold Friday night to see Jesus? Would you cry, jump up and down, and scream if you saw Him? Would you camp out over night in the pouring ran to get tickets to see Jesus? Just some food for thought....

God has really been showing me my purpose in life and why Im here and I take it very seriously. I don't want to stand in front of Jesus one day and wish I did more. I want to do everything Im supposed to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment