Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 6 - What Are You Focused On?

Of all days to miss reading, of course it is a good one. I have to be honest, I almost didn't read this one. I almost skipped it and when on to the next day's devotional (today). Thank God I didn't skip it! It was powerful! And honestly, I almost skipped it twice. As I began reading, I got lost. I couldn't understand what the author was saying. I almost put the book down, but I didn't. I started over, and I am glad I did.
The devotional was about this minister who came to Wigglesworth and told him the doctors gave his wife a day to live. Mr. Clark (the minister) was distraught and wanted Wigglesworth to pray. Wigglesworth told him all he needed to do was believe that Jesus could heal his wife. Mr. Clark said that he had no such confidence. Wigglesworth felt that if he called on another pastor and went and prayed for the woman and anointed her with oil like it says in James 5, that the woman would be healed. However, the man Wigglesworth called said he could not believe for this woman, but that Wigglesworth could go alone and the woman would be healed. Wigglesworth called on another man to go with him and this time, the man came.
When they got to the house, the man began to pray for the sick woman. However, instead of praying for healing, he prayed for comfort of Mr. Clark and the motherless children. This made Wigglesworth upset. After the man was finished praying, Wigglesworth asked Mr. Clark to pray and again he prayed for peace and comfort. By the end of his prayer, Wigglesworth was infuriated. He got up, practically dumped the oil on the woman, and began praying for healing. He saw Jesus over her bed with the sweetest smile and the woman got up, healed, and began walking around.
Wigglesworth emphasizes keeping our focus on God, not on the sickness at hand or what the world tells us. God can do the impossible, we just need to believe. I think a lot of the time, it's our faith that falls short, not God.
Several weeks ago I was watching Joseph Prince on TV. He was talking about where our focus was. He said that whatever our focus is, becomes our God. So if you're focusing on or constantly thinking about what you are doing this Friday night, that has become your God. If your focus is always on your boyfriend or girlfriend, your boyfriend or girlfriend has become your God. If we focused on God as much as we focus on other things of this world, we might come close to having the faith we need to perform miracles.

Wigglesworth leaves the devotion with this thought: You can never pray "the prayer of faith" if you look at the person who is needing it; there is only one place to look, and that is to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment