Sunday, July 24, 2011

Caleb's Dedication

When I got pregnant with Caleb, I was so grateful. I felt like I was one of the lucky ones. I constantly thought about those women who couldn't get pregnant or lost children. Why did God pick me? Why was I allowed to have children, but others weren't? I was so thankful. I thanked God every day, multiple times a day.
After awhile, simply telling God 'thank you' wasn't enough. There had to be more. One day at about four or five months pregnant, I was jogging on the treadmill. I began to thank God for the beautiful gift He put inside me, but I felt my thank yous weren't enough. I asked God what else I could do to show Him how grateful I was. There had to be something. God told me to dedicate the baby back to Him. Without hesitation, I told God I would, but I thought there had to be more I could do. After all, I was already going to dedicate the baby....that was it, God?
God told me over and over to simply dedicate the baby...that that was thank you enough. Really? OK!
So, as Caleb gets dediated today, I will know in my mind that this is ultimate "Thank You" to God. I will be publically stating that, ultimately, Caleb is God's child. Yes, John and I are his earthly parents, but God is His real Father and we are going to do everything in our power to raise him according to how God would want us to raise him.
Also, one of my new favorite verses is in Luke where it says, "every first born male who opens the womb will be called Holy to the Lord." And if you recall in the old testament, God tells Moses to tell the Israelites that He wants all the first born children and animals, that they are His.
Today, we are telling the world that Caleb is God's and we are praying that God will continue to have His hand on his life as he grows.

PS We would have loved for ALL our family and friends to experience such a special day, but as you know John and I have BIG immediate families. So we decided to only invite our immediate family members. Please do not feel left out or shunned. We wish we could have invited everyone. Feel free to pray for us and baby Caleb today!

No comments:

Post a Comment