Sunday, June 26, 2011

"Parents and Children"

So way back in the day (like a few weeks ago), I decided to become a 'better reader of the Bible.' I knew I needed to read more and it was one night before bed I decided it'd be a good time to start. I knew picking up my Bible only a few times here and there wasn't good enough. I needed to be more diligent. So, I picked up my Bible that night and asked God for a word.
Now at the time I was very frustrated. I was never a big reader, but reading the Bible was even harder. Not only did I have my own flesh and blood fighting against me, so was Satan. You know he was whispering all kinds of lies in my ears of why I couldn't read the Bible. There wasn't enough time. I was tired. I don't know what to read. All these excuses prevented me from picking up my Bible all the time.
But then, that night came where I made a commitment that I would pick it up more often. I swore to myself that I would read EVERY night and ignore the excuses in my mind. As soon as I thought about picking up my Bible and reading though, the perfect excuse flooded my thoughts, "I haven't read in forever, so I know God won't give me a word. I'll just be reading simple words on a page that don't make any sense to me and I'll put the Bible down more discouraged then ever."
At that moment, before the excuse could consume me, I prayed. I told God I was desperate for a word. I begged Him to speak to me through His Holy book. I wanted something specific for me. I needed it. I just needed Him to speak to me.
So after I prayed, I lifted my Bible expecting to open up to a random verse that would speak volumes. Instead I randomly took out the card that was in the front pocket of my Bible. My dearest cousin had given me this Bible and she gave it to me with a card. I always left the card in the front pocket. I used it to right down verses, chapters, or whatever I felt I needed to write down quickly before I forgot. I hadn't taken out the card in awhile, but for some reason I decided to tonight. I forgot what my cousin had written in it and I wanted to read it again. As I examined the card, I saw Colossians 3 written on the back side of the card.
I remembered when I wrote down that Chapter. It was several years prior and it was a word I felt God give me to give my cheerleaders one day. I couldn't remember what it was about, so I decided to read it. As I was reading Colossians 3, I remembered its purpose, but I didn't think it was the word God was going to give me on that night. I was wrong.
Curiosity got the best of me and I continued reading past the few verses in the chapter God gave me several years ago. As I read on, I realized it was no mistake I was supposed to continue reading.
Colossians 3 talks about living a holy life (that includes children and adults). In the middle of the chapter, my 'spirit filled bible' gives a little excerpt titled 'Parents and Children' on how to raise children accordingly. It gives a clear list of how to do it right backed with different scriptures throughout the Bible. It talked about being a good example, not showing favoritism, and having your child dedicated.
I'll be honest, it wasn't the word I was hoping for, but I knew God wanted me to read that. It was NOT a mistake, nor was it a coincidence. It was for me. I needed to read it.
Once i finished reading it, I felt good. I felt like God had showed me that and said, "Hey, this is where you go when you have questions about how to raise Caleb or if you question whether or not your raising him correctly. As long as you follow these steps, you'll be fine." (Understand clear steps is what I need in life. God knows this haha).

In the end, I was so grateful that God showed up for me and gave me that word. No, it wasn't what I wanted to hear, but God is like a parent, He tells us things we don't always want to hear, but it is for our own good. God is not in the business in always giving us what we want, but giving us what we need. And He knows better than anyone what we need. And that's a good thing because a lot of us aren't even sure what we want. :)
God.Is.So.Good

No comments:

Post a Comment