Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 12 - Demonstrations of God's Might

Someone at work prayed for me the other day. After they were finished praying, this person said they sensed I had a lot of fear in my life. Talk about nailing it on the head. This person was 100% correct. All my life I have struggled with fear. Ever since I was little, I have found something to be afraid of. Sometimes I can control it; sometimes it becomes overwhelming.
I decided to find the root or source of the problem so I could fight this fear. I contacted my mom and my brother and asked them what they thought was the reason was that I was so fearful. I honestly expected one of them to pinpoint a particular time or situation in my life that initiated and then stirred this fear, but they didn't. Instead, my brother said that it was a lack of control that I feared.
My first thought to his response was that he was crazy. I am a very laid back person and I do not have to be in control. However, after I thought about what he said, I decided he was right. Most of the time, I don't mind not being in control, but it depends on the situation. I don't mind not being in control of decisions people make or the actions of people around me. However, I do not like not being in control of unsafe situations. Allow me to elaborate. I hate flying. Why? I don't like that I am not in control of flying and that my life is in the hands of the pilot. As a kid, I was afraid of my house catching fire (something totally out of my control). I was so afraid of it that I would look outside my window every night to make sure no one was setting my house on fire. I'm afraid of someone breaking in. Sometimes I will stare at my window at night and contemplate how I will react when (not if) someone breaks in. Again, totally out of my control.
Maybe I've watched too many movies or maybe I just have a crazy imagination. Whatever it is, it causes fear and it's a problem for me.
As I talked with my brother, I told him that sometimes I can control the fear and other times I cannot. He told me that when I get away from God's Word is when the fear can take over. However, if I stay in the Word every day, it is easier to battle the fear. Why didn't I think of that?!
It's funny that all of that came up on the day I read this particular devotional. Wigglesworth states "There is life in the Word. There is power in it. I find Christ in it, and He is the one I need for spirit, soul and body." For spirit, soul, and body. Makes sense for me. We need God's Word to battle spiritually and then everything else falls into place.

Thank God for His Word!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment