Friday, March 25, 2011

Really God?? Are you serious??

Back in September I remember telling everyone that I couldn't wait to have a baby bump. I was about two-three months pregnant at the time and I wasn't showing. I desperately wanted a bump to show off, but my little peanut was still, well, little. I felt like I was in that awkward stage of looking fat, but not pregnant (every pregnant woman knows what I am talking about), and I just wanted to look pregnant so people could oooo and ahhh and touch my belly. :)
I'll never forget, one day, when I was telling a group of women how bad I wanted a bump. One woman said, "Oh just wait! When you get that bump, you are going to be like. 'Really God? Are you serious?'" I swore I'd never say that and that I'd embrace my bump like the proud pregnant girl I was already becoming.
Fast forward like six months and I think I've said that very statement like 50 THOUSAND times! Trust me, I had no intentions of disliking my bump, but it's getting ridiculous. How much can one person stretch?! It's not easy having a big ol belly, but I do thank God that I was one of the lucky ones that can have children. Although I am totally convinced that the women that can't have kids would be saying the same things as me if they were able (I hope that doesn't offend anyone). Maybe I am wrong, but I do think that because I swore I'd be forever grateful for getting pregnant, but sometimes it gets rough when you are carrying around extra weight and a little human inside of you (i.e. the foot that is forever in my ribs)!
Anyway, my point to this whole post (I digress)....yesterday, I had one of those days where I was like 'really God?' See, I really thought this baby would come yesterday. Call it a motherly instinct (or the makings of), but I just had some intuition. Well, I was completely wrong and barely had a contraction all day. I got so upset when the baby didn't come that I really feel like I started to get depressed. I have been so over being pregnant, that its hard to wake up every day and still be pregnant, when I know the baby could come any time and be fine (developmentally wise). Ugh, the waiting game stinks.
Anyway, in the midst of all my despair, my husband told me to pray and read the bible. Let me tell you, that was the last thing I wanted to do. I was angry at God. He was in control of all of this, why wasn't He making this baby come?! Eventually, I knew my husband was right and that I should open my bible, so I did. I prayed a quick prayer and told God I needed a word from Him to get me through. I randomly open the bible and land in Habbakuk 1. "What could God possibly show me in here?" I thought. I started reading.
Basically, Habbakuk is complaining to God asking Him why He hasn't answered His prayer yet (Habbakuk was praying that God would do justice on the Babylonians). Sounds familiar, so I keep reading. God tells Habbakuk that He hears His prayers and He will do justice on the Babylonians, but that Habbakuk has to wait for the appointed time. Want to know my thoughts after I read that? Exactly what you are probably thinking..."Seriously God?! I asked for a Word and this is what You give me?! And this is supposed to encourage me?!" Needless to say, I didn't like this particular Word.
I read on anyway thinking God must have gotten it wrong. Maybe I was supposed to read chapter 2....??
What I come to find out is that God does tell Habbakuk He will answer his prayers, but God tells Habbakuk He can't tell him much more because what He is going to do is going to be so great that Habbakuk wouldn't believe Him if He told him.
My mind begins to wonder and I think to myself, "So, there is an appointed time for this baby to come and basically all I can do is wait, but in the end God will do something so great that I could have never imagined it. So, does that mean the baby will come out of my nose?"
I have to admit, I was a little bitter toward the Word God gave me and I found myself asking God over and over, "Are you serious?" I know God is teaching me something through this (my guess is patience), but didn't I learn that already when I was unemployed looking for a job?
On the flip, I do get impatient when God doesn't answer my prayers right away. I guess I just expect Him to give me what I want, when I want it.
What's funny is whenever I picture myself with God, I am always throwing a hissy fit. I always get this same vision when I picture God and myself together. We are in a candy store, and I am on the ground kicking and screaming. God is staring at me, but He isn't mad. He is patient and loving. He moves His hand in the direction of the door and in an ever so loving way says, 'Ok, Gina, let's go.' I continue to kick and scream.
The vision hasn't changed so maybe I still need to learn patience.....

No comments:

Post a Comment